A Brief History of SMC
Stumptown Mennonite Church had its beginnings in 1781, when services were first held in homes. In 1815 the Stumptown school house was used for meetings, and then simple churches were built in 1846 and 1882. The present building was erected in 1916 on the opposite side of the road from the two former meetinghouses. There have been additions and renovations since that time. In 2005 there was a very major addition of a new sanctuary, church offices, a foyer and a larger fellowship hall and many new classrooms with full handicap accessibility and air conditioning. For this we say, “To God be the glory.”
Stumptown is part of Lancaster Mennonite Conference of about 17,000 members.
The Anabaptist movement began in Europe in the early 1500’s. The name Mennonite came from one of the early leaders by the name of Menno Simons. Persecution led many Swiss and German Mennonites to come to the new colony of Pennsylvania in the 1700’s where William Penn offered a land with freedom of religion. The ancestors of many of Stumptown’s early members were of Swiss or German origin, but today we are made up of people from many cultures and backgrounds.